In the early part of the 20th century, Local 127 was chartered in Grand Junction under the United Association. It didn’t last long. In 1929, the Great Depression swept across our country and Local 127 faded with most of the jobs and companies around the country.
In 1937, twelve plumbers led by John T. Wilson, remembering the brotherhood they had in Local 127, came together hoping to regain what was lost and to protect the workers and work being done in Western Colorado. These twelve brothers of the trade came together to sign the application for charter, the first cash sheet for the United Association and to pay the initiation fee of $3.00. And so, on May 15, 1937, Plumbers and Pipefitters Local #145 came into existence.
The membership of Local #145 grew steadily over the years as the economy grew from the leadership of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the wars that were fought overseas. Union membership in all the trades increased, hitting a peak in the late 1960’s.
Local #145 fared well until the bust of 1982, when the oil companies withdrew from the local economy. Everyone was affected across the country. Up to that point in time, there were many plumbing contractors, as well as industrial contractors building the coal-fired power plants in Craig, Hayden, Nucla, and Cameo.
By the late 1980’s and early 1990’s things started to pick up around Western Colorado. The ski resorts, schools and hospitals started building and remodeling at a good pace to keep the economy growing strong. The progression of the local economy grew, as did Local #145, through the 1990’s. Then on September 11, 2001, the entire country came to a halt. Terrorists attacked our nation and changed the U.S.A. As the country changed, so did Local #145. Having sold the previous union hall and began the development of Pipe Trades Commercial Park, including a new union hall and training center. After many years of organizing and persistence, Plumbers and Pipefitters Local #145 held its grand opening celebration December, 2005 at its new location: 3168 Pipe Court, Grand Junction, CO.
Today, with over 350 members, 60+ apprentices and a very diversified membership, we look forward to the challenge the economy and world throws at us.